Reflecting and Scribbling away....

It truly makes u think deeper of life...

Psalm 52:8 says, "But I am like a green olive tree in the house of GOD: I trust in the mercy of GOD for ever and ever."

Monday 19 October 2009

"Some time later the brook dried up......."

the title phrase was taken from 1 Kings 17:7... and the story of Elijah that I am going to scribble about here was taken from 1 Kings 17:1-16... and this was shared at my church in the UK (St John's) a week ago..... Below is the passage; New International Version...

******
1 Kings 17:1 - 16

Elijah Fed by Ravens
1 Now Elijah the Tishbite, from Tishbe in Gilead, said to Ahab, "As the LORD, the God of Israel, lives, whom I serve, there will be neither dew nor rain in the next few years except at my word."
2 Then the word of the LORD came to Elijah: 3 "Leave here, turn eastward and hide in the Kerith Ravine, east of the Jordan. 4 You will drink from the brook, and I have ordered the ravens to feed you there."
5 So he did what the LORD had told him. He went to the Kerith Ravine, east of the Jordan, and stayed there. 6 The ravens brought him bread and meat in the morning and bread and meat in the evening, and he drank from the brook.

The Widow at Zarephath
7 Some time later the brook dried up because there had been no rain in the land. 8 Then the word of the LORD came to him: 9 "Go at once to Zarephath of Sidon and stay there. I have commanded a widow in that place to supply you with food." 10 So he went to Zarephath. When he came to the town gate, a widow was there gathering sticks. He called to her and asked, "Would you bring me a little water in a jar so I may have a drink?"

11 As she was going to get it, he called, "And bring me, please, a piece of bread."
12 "As surely as the LORD your God lives," she replied, "I don't have any bread—only a handful of flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug. I am gathering a few sticks to take home and make a meal for myself and my son, that we may eat it—and die."
13 Elijah said to her, "Don't be afraid. Go home and do as you have said. But first make a small cake of bread for me from what you have and bring it to me, and then make something for yourself and your son. 14 For this is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: 'The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the LORD gives rain on the land.' "
15 She went away and did as Elijah had told her. So there was food every day for Elijah and for the woman and her family. 16 For the jar of flour was not used up and the jug of oil did not run dry, in keeping with the word of the LORD spoken by Elijah
.
******

The preacher emphasized "radical obedience"... looking at how Elijah stepping out in faith and in obedience.. and as Elijah did that, surprisingly, the brook dried up some time later which indicates that obedience could also bring us to a place of barrenness and of lack... It is not a sign or indication of disobedience.. Instead, it is in that place of waiting and of lack, God challenges the picture of us putting Him in the Box... It is in those times that we really see what is inside us and how much do we really trust Him....... I find this particularly interesting. Why so? well.. somehow, I felt that I am at that place of lack.. that place of waiting..... hmm..

So, why did God takes Elijah to that place of barrenness and of lack? looking at the passage above, we could see that God uses that and Elijah to bring about a miracle for Elijah.... On top of that, it is also to bring supernatural provision to a widow and her son.. In another words, bringing blessings to others. And the preacher shared that miracle happens when we run out of our own resources... and that the only people who get miracles are those who need them..... Much truth to chew on and yet, I just able to identify with them..

Finally, the preacher also stated that those waiting times are also birthing times... to birth desires within... It is when God wants to birth something deep inside....... Deep, huh? profound, most definitely..... And it excited me as I listened to the sermon that day...... It triggered much thoughts and I just want to run to God to talk to Him about them....... heeeeee...

No comments:

Post a Comment